Saturday, May 30, 2015

Reesie's Speculoos cookies

This recipe is from a friend of mine that suggested I try them. You can find the recipe at www.eaththelove.com/2012/12/speculaas. 

If someone is looking for kidney friendly cookie options, these will be ok for you. My dietitian recommended I try these. There is a spread, like nutella, that is made out of these cookies. I haven't tried this spread yet. 

I learned that it better to chill the dough in this recipe before rolling it out. We didn't have the cookie mold that they recommend. So, we rolled out the dough and cut in squares with the pizza cutter. For our second batch, we chilled the dough for about 15 minutes in the refrigerator. Then we put a little bit of flour out on the board, like we did when we rolled the dough. This time, though, we made balls. That seemed to work a little better. If you want to try to make a pattern, you can criss cross a fork on the ball, while pushing down slightly. This is like what you do when making peanut butter cookies. 

We didn't have the white pepper. It was ok without using that. Couldn't tell too much of a difference. I think by adding the pepper, I could really taste the vanilla and cinnamon better. 

I kind of liked the taste of these cookies. Maybe the next time I'll make it, I'll just roll into the ball into making the squares. The dough is so delicate that it is kind of hard to work with. 


No comments:

Post a Comment